Hopkins students wanting more information, please contact Rajni Kant Bansal, who did an internship with EPRI last semester.
Job Title: Electricity Markets, Modeling & Grid Integration Fall/Spring Student Engineer
Location: EPRI Charlotte Office, EPRI Dallas Office, EPRI Palo Alto, EPRI Washington DC Office, Knoxville, TN
Job Summary and Description: This student intern will help support design, development, and analysis of evolving electricity market operation across the U.S. wholesale electricity market regions. This includes integrating emerging power system technologies, e.g., stand-alone electric storage resources, hybrid resources (storage plus renewables), and distributed energy resources, into bulk electricity markets and analyzing market re-formulations and corresponding market implications. Candidate will develop and implement participation models, perform electricity market simulations using advanced production cost tools, and/or perform statistical analysis on large data sets of electricity market operation. Candidate will report back findings to the project lead and potentially external stakeholders. Looking for a student who can work in the fall of 2022 or Spring of 2023 semester. This position is open to a remote work setting.
- Modeling and analysis of new market design proposals using advanced simulation tools
- Report important findings to project lead and potentially external stakeholders
- Collect large data sets and operational information from public data sources and analyze to track trends
- Write up of findings through a complete study report
The Ideal Candidate:
- Electrical engineering, operations research, economics, or similar master’s or PhD student with an understanding of electric power systems operations and economics, and/or and strong analytical skills
- Understanding of wholesale electricity markets, including unit commitment, economic dispatch, and locational marginal pricing concepts
- Experience in market simulation models and tools, such as production cost modeling, e.g., PSO, FESTIV
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze large data sets
Education Level & Years of Experience:
- Required – Has begun master’s studies
- Desired – In PhD studies
This is a great opportunity to gain experience in industry focused R&D to set a candidate up for either a career in academia or industry, including exposure to EPRI and its members.
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status of new hires by comparing information from the employee’s I-9 form against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.
Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S. visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.
EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/Disabled.